Saturday, April 2, 2011

About Flat Mickey and Her Journal

Last year I stumbled across Roz Stendahl's "International Fake Journal Month" blog, and was intrigued by the concept of a fake journal. I decided that this year I would create one too. A little background on my fake journal. I had seen Roz's fake journal blog last year and had decided that when April rolled around again, it would be fun to do one myself. I wanted it to be a travel journal to places I would like to go, but I wasn't sure how I was going to work it out. Then, a few weeks ago, I saw a photo of a friend on Facebook, and in one of her vacation photos she was holding her grandson's "Flat Stanley". In case you aren't familiar with the program, kids make a paper cutout and send him to a pen pal at another school or to a family member who will then take the cutout on a typical day's outings, or in this case, on vacation. They take photos of themselves holding the "Flat Stanley" and write a journal entry about what he did that day. Aha! I made a "Flat Mickey" (cheating a bit since my character isn't supposed to have my own name). I didn't send it to anyone, but instead planned an interesting trip for her, and she started writing in her journal on April 1. My sisters and I used to create our own paper dolls when we were kids, so I had fun dressing Flat Mickey in her hiking gear. She is going to be taking "photos" and sketching as she hikes in the Southwest. This could be a lot of fun, and/or a lot of work. I hope I follow through and don't start procrastinating like I usually do about sketching. LOL Oh wait! I'm not doing the sketching - Flat Mickey is, and she is much more motivated than I am.

1 comment: